Tuesday, August 24, 2010

I stepped on a (new) nail last night and it's been exactly 9 years since my last tetanus shot.?

Will I be alright without seeing a doctor?





The nail went in about half an inch and the blood has since clotted and closed the wound. I rinsed it with tap water but no soap, and cleaned the area around it with alcohol but not the wound itself.I stepped on a (new) nail last night and it's been exactly 9 years since my last tetanus shot.?
i agree, you are approaching the max 10 yr limit on the shot, better be safe then sorry. Tetanus is a neurotoxin, and super deadly. You would have probably started showing symptoms of the C. tetani, however since you did not use antiseptic, i wouldn't be surprised if you got some type of infection regardless. Rinse it out with hydrogen peroxide and bandage it, and seek the shot.I stepped on a (new) nail last night and it's been exactly 9 years since my last tetanus shot.?
It is hard to say whether or not you will be alright. More than likely you will, but it would be a great idea to get another tetanus shot. I cut my thumb open on a drinking glass while I was doing dishes. I had to go get stitches and although I had a tetanus shot only 18 months before the incident the doctor insisted I needed another one. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment